Home > Parenting > Back Off Winter Sports, It’s Spring

Back Off Winter Sports, It’s Spring

lfin494l-1

Why aren’t you blogging, my friends ask me.

Truth be told, I get tired of my voice sometimes. It rings hollow and whiny in my ear and I can’t bear to expose it to y’all. Go read Slate, your time will be better spent. But lately the urge to write has been spluttering down there amidst my undigested Easter chocolate (did you notice how Reese’s jumped on the bandwagon this year? Pastel wrapped bunnies, eggs, lambs, roosters, Edward from Twilight, you name it they produced it in peanut butter and chocolate. Mmmmmmm). Back to my other urge, the blogging one. It generally appears when people I’m chatting with take the words out of my mouth. They say something – okay, maybe it’s a complaint, whatever – and I say, yes, exactly, a little loudly and over-enthusiastically, causing the other person to back away. Cue the blog post.

Lately, it’s about our spring schedules. That is, our over-scheduled children’s spring schedules and the driving involved.

The problem is that spring has sprung, but no one informed the winter sports. So they are continuing, even accelerating to two or three practices a week, while we are dusting off our field hockey sticks and baseball bats and trying to make our children well-rounded athletes. Not if hockey and soccer have anything to say about it.

The pitfall, of course, is the children will be those two words that every parent fears – left behind – if they don’t carry on with their winter sports, even though it’s spring. So us well-meaning parents, also known as suckers, try to do a little of both, and drive ourselves mad in the process.

It could be worse – I could have sired hockey and baseball players, or had nine kids. I feel for my friends with boys who have schedules much crazier than mine. There is always the just say no option. I took that route before – that lonely, higher ground – and my kids did pay for it.  I feel cornered and bullied into enrolling my kids for yet more soccer (a winter sport in Vancouver), while the reasonable voice in my head wants to just play field hockey, perhaps dabble in track and field, or here’s a thought: go for a bike ride with my kids.

Did I warn you that this would not be uplifting? There’s no winner here. If I sound bitter it’s because I am.

1. Val Mills
    April 3, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Enjoy the moment now and look forward to when you’re no longer needed, you’ll have time to blog your heart out 🙂

• April 3, 2013 at 8:26 pm

Ah, but there’s the rub – I don’t have to enjoy the moment because my kids need to be at three different fields! Still, I will try, thanks.

2. Val Mills
    April 3, 2013 at 8:34 pm

Funny how no one ever told us parenting isn’t easy! At least your kids are not flopped in front of TV!

3. janna
    April 3, 2013 at 10:25 pm

I go back and forth as well. Ugh! I have three girls ages 6, 8 & 10. We are living in Sun Valley, ID this year mainly for the over scheduled treadmill that we were on in Washington State last year. At different times, but many at the same time, my kids were in two dance classes (EACH), theater (x2), soccer(x3), basketball (x2), not to mention school which at the time we had two! YIKES! Moving has helped as we are now 5 minutes away from just about everything but there is still pressure. If you stop dancing every week does that mean they can’t dance again? If we opt out of soccer they will be ‘left behind’ as the next time they won’t have as much confidence and skills and will decide that it’s not that fun anymore. We are going back to Washington this Summer. Hopefully we will have learned a little bit about balance but the pressure is strong. Nice blog. Obviously, I can relate!

• April 8, 2013 at 8:15 pm

Whatever happened to ‘go out and play’?! If only our vehicles were equipped with restaurants…

4. jjleigh
    April 8, 2013 at 1:44 am

Everything wants to be competitive level now, even when it’s rec league! Why isn’t once a week good enough? Even for basic, C level hockey, my son was there 4-5 times a week this year!! And now we’re worried because we refuse to do spring and summer hockey, Good lordy, he’ll be so behind his friends in the fall (and that will suck).

• April 8, 2013 at 8:13 pm

That is absurd – what are these people thinking? But feeling grateful to someone that I don’t have any ice hockey players…

5. April 10, 2013 at 4:43 pm

We are suckers! I really believe the whole higher level, more hours thing is just another way to get money out of us parents. My rule: one sport and one music, that’s it! I love your inspiring rants. It is always comforting to know others are going through the same ups and downs in life. -C