Home > Parenting > The Mother Lode of Love

The Mother Lode of Love

I have received countless homemade Mother’s Day gifts from my gang. A hand-painted coffee mug, several cards where triangular globs of tissue paper form my body, etched pencil drawings of my likeness, and one year, a handmade lilac scarf with a stick-figure of me drawn in fabric markers. So many Mother’s Days, so many treasures.

But how to tell them that their gift to me is themselves? The amazement I experience as life happens to them. Just yesterday, my seven year old learned that dolphins sleep with one eye open, and she now tells this fact to everyone she encounters, the pride in her knowledge unmistakeable. My ten year-old sporty girl throws herself body and soul into every game she plays, and doesn’t leave an ounce of regret on the field. My twelve year-old daughter laughingly tells me every detail of her first date – how much longer will that last? I am privileged to be a voyageur into their world, and my nose is pressed up against the glass tight.

Easily, the most precious gift they give me is the chance to be their mother. I am quick to point out the pitfalls of motherhood, but this doesn’t mean I don’t bask in its sunshine, and at times its rays are blinding.

True story: I encourage my youngest daughter to stay in her own bed, telling her I can’t sleep as well when she is wedged in between myself and my husband.

She thinks this is due to the cramped quarters, but actually it is not. I can’t sleep because I can’t help staring at her face, perfectly lost in dreamland. I can’t sleep because I can’t believe my luck and fortune that this little face beside me, this beautiful person is my daughter.

She is seven years old, but the wonder of her is new to me everyday.

Their gifts to me far exceed the cardboard box that is kept underneath my bed. Their gift to me is the very meaning and embodiment, the mother lode, of love itself.

Wishing all mothers, everywhere, a very happy Mother’s Day this Sunday.

1. May 8, 2012 at 12:07 am

Oh, what a precious, precious post, Dee! Your girls are also incredibly blessed to have you as their mom. Happy Mother’s Day and enjoy NYC!

• May 8, 2012 at 3:59 am

I’m not sure they feel as fortunate all the time. Oh well, we all have our moments!
      Thanks and have a great week – next stop is the Big Apple!

May 8, 2012 at 12:23 am

You just made me tear up! Great post D!

• May 8, 2012 at 4:00 am

Thanks Nancy – they are so precious when they are sleeping…

3. Terri Green
    May 8, 2012 at 12:57 am

Tears in my eyes! Your girls are so very lucky to have you as their mom. Great post.

• May 8, 2012 at 4:02 am

Thanks Terri! As you know, I do my fair share of nagging, and I’m hoping that’s not all they remember me for. Fingers crossed.

4. May 8, 2012 at 1:00 am

Very, very sweet and I happy Mother’s Day to you, as well. With children now grown and almost flown, we remember those days of wanting to come and sleep with us and how hard they slept. Lovely memories….

• May 8, 2012 at 4:03 am

Thank you – I hope your children will return to give you breakfast in bed this weekend!