Home > Life > A New York State of Mind

A New York State of Mind

Many people have told me the best way to see New York is during the NYC Marathon. Mind you, these people were runners. And since I consider myself one, also, I have been holding off on a New York trip until I trained for that race. I wanted to see the five boroughs on foot, the arduous way, alongside the 50 000 other runners that make the trek out to Staten Island. I just had it in my head I would do this one day.

But sometimes life doesn’t play out perfectly on cue. Despite my best laid plans, a trip to New York has presented itself, but over the Mother’s Day weekend instead of race weekend. Far be it from me to decline, give or take the marathon. Marathon? What marathon?

Who cares? I’M GOING TO NEW YORK! This occasion absolutely calls for all capitals.

I am ecstatic to finally visit this iconic city that never sleeps, and experience it’s peculiar energy and buzz. I’m excited to browse through SoHo, drink a genuine Manhatten, visit the MoMA, Times Square, Top of the Rock, enter the New York Public Library, walk across the Brooklyn Bridge, and yes, run leisurely through Central Park. I’m going to a show on Broadway and will be eating in restaurants that are far too cool for me. We are going to an underground rave, and I’m told, will be conquering Century 21. We will do this, all of this, in three days. Of course no one ever sleeps in this city.

We are staying somewhere in Midtown; since someone fun and hip booked this trip, the hotel, I’m told, is fun and hip. Not that it matters. Sleeping isn’t on the itinerary.

I’m as excited to see New York as I am to get the monkey off my back of Not Having Been to New York. It is a conversation stopper, when people are musing about past trips to the Big Apple, to drop in the tidbit that I haven’t been before. Like blasphemy, or pant-wetting, it causes people to shift uncomfortably in their seats. They often mutter, “You should really go, you will love it.” Like I don’t know this.

So since I’m finally going, I’m going big, hitting as many highlights as possible. It will be exhausting, I know, but my children will totally permit me to sleep for a week upon my return. The more I see, the more I will be able to converse about. In my near future, when people say, “Don’t you just love the High Line?” I will say, emphatically, yes, I love the High Line; and the whole conversation will be much more comfortable without the slump in their shoulders on account of me never having been before.

What’s your favorite thing to do in New York City? I have loads of time to fill.

1. May 7, 2012 at 2:01 am

NCY is on my bucket list. I’ll have to live vicariously through your postings.

• May 7, 2012 at 3:09 am

We are two peas in a pod. I have a feeling you have a very interesting list up your sleeve of things you want to do in NYC…

• May 7, 2012 at 5:58 am

Not that I would ever tell. But running the NYC marathon is not on the list.

May 7, 2012 at 2:09 am

I love NYC! Anything on Broadway – I loved Wicked, drinks at the Modern at the MOMA, Milos for amazing greek food, Barneys, Century 21 (go early!), Bloomies in Soho, Eataly, the list is endless. Can’t wait to hear all about your faves for my next trip!
    I’m not doing the marathon to get there either!

• May 7, 2012 at 3:12 am

I’m jotting these notes down on my Blackberry… But you could totally do the marathon, oh one who completed a half-marathon today and posted photos on Facebook, making it look as though you were just enjoying a sunny day with a racing bib on your shirt.

3. May 7, 2012 at 10:23 am

I haven’t been to NYC in decades, but my favorite is the theater–and the food–and the shopping–and the galleries. God, it’s an amazing place, Dee. What a fabulous thing to do for Mothers’ Day. I’m delighted for you! Have fun!

• May 7, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Lots to pack in – no rest for the weary! Thanks Kathy.

4. Kiata
    May 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm

I moved to Yonkers, NY a year and a half ago. After hiking the trails in Van Cortlandt Park during a visit to see my fiance, I knew I had to live close to this park. I absolutely recommend a visit to Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx, it is easily accessible by subway. The trails are amazing, not to mention the lakes and wildlife. Of course you should spend a lot of time in Manhattan seeing all of the touristy things, but when you get a craving for a break away from the hustle and bustle, head up to Van Cortlandt park…you won’t believe you are still in the city.

• May 7, 2012 at 3:53 pm

That’s a great tip, and I do tend to get weary of pounding the pavement. Lucky you.

5. May 7, 2012 at 6:37 pm

Sounds like an amazing trip. Enjoy!

• May 7, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Thanks – as long as I don’t fall over from exhaustion, I will!