Home > Life > It Only Took Me Twenty Years

It Only Took Me Twenty Years

To be totally upfront, as writing careers go mine has been far from stellar.

One month after graduating from university with a degree in Journalism, my father, a local journalist and my inspiration, died; and so did my aspirations for a writing career. I wrote about this here, in my inaugural post for this blog, in case anyone besides Mom cares to read it.

Instead I got a job that delivered decent money if not bylines, and the rest is yesterday’s news.

But since everyone loves it when old dogs learn new tricks, I have a modicum of success to report. It is really little – like a freckle on Diana Swain‘s face. But it’s the most success I’ve had since putting the perfect ratio of peanut butter to jam on my sandwich last week, or ever, so I’m rather excited.

As the rain fell and the wind blew one day, I submitted an essay to the Globe and Mail. Granted, my topic was pretty lame; it’s far from Nietzsche in scope and as always short of Austen in form. It’s about the mall.

Yet incredibly, today they replied they were using it (slow essay month, I guess). They would be publishing it this Friday, October 14th.

It took me a minute before I realized that just happens to be my dear father’s birthday, of all days. So happy birthday to my father, who was more profound and witty than I will ever be, and who never lost his enthusiasm for life.

1. Laurie
    October 13, 2011 at 5:47 am

How remarkably poetic. Your father and brother are surely smiling upon you.
    xoxo

• October 13, 2011 at 8:17 pm

Thanks Laurie – It did feel like more than a coincidence. We like to think of the two of them playing golf together on the most beautiful course up there.

2. Tanya
    October 13, 2011 at 6:23 am

Congratulations D! I will definitely read it, as I love your writing.

• October 13, 2011 at 8:19 pm

Thanks Tanya – I’ll put a link here tomorrow.

3. Joanne Lawlor
    October 13, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Congratulations Deanna! I knew it was just a matter of time before your writing talent was discovered by others…Love the picture of Dad opening his gift..he was always so enthusiastic about his presents, regardless of what they were!

• October 13, 2011 at 8:02 pm

Not sure about the “discovered” and “talent” aspects, but nevertheless, thanks! It is a precious photo of Dad.

4. Mel
    October 13, 2011 at 3:00 pm

WHOOOOOOOO!
    Way to go!!
    I knew you could do it.
    Can’t wait to read it!!!!
    xoxo
    Mel
    PS still laughing about the post on chin hairs….so true….

• October 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Thanks Mel – so are you also having to perform hairdo’s on your chin? Maybe it was the rusty water fountain in Alderney Elementary school.

5. October 13, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Hooray for you, Deeana! Can’t wait to read it—————–

• October 13, 2011 at 8:05 pm

Thanks Kathy. As I attempted to warn you, it really is not ground breaking stuff, but I will put a link to it tomorrow nevertheless.

6. Liz Brownlie
    October 13, 2011 at 4:17 pm

Thrilled for you! And love that it coincides with a special dad day. Can’t wait to pick it up tomorrow.. xox

• October 13, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Thanks Liz – I feel like this is my father’s doing. Like the times my picture ended up in the newspaper and I thought I was special to be chosen, when in fact it was just him sending a photographer to capture me tying my shoelaces… And you too have an angel at work.

7. Ellie
    October 13, 2011 at 5:35 pm

awesome Dee! looking forward to reading it! and what special timing!
    congrats!! Love E

• October 13, 2011 at 8:11 pm

Thanks El – there’s nothing like tooting your own horn, however little the bleep, I always say.

8. Brian Regan
    October 15, 2011 at 2:45 am

Hey Dee, that’s awesome about your essay and a cool coincidence that it will appear on Dad’s birthday. As we Regan’s know, Dad’s passion beyond his family was his writing and he would be so so proud of you, as would John, as am I. Great job! 🙂 Love Brian

• October 21, 2011 at 3:12 am

Thanks Bun, sweet and so nice to hear.

9. MaryBeth Curry
    October 15, 2011 at 1:00 pm

Ah Dee, that s so great.I am happy that you are finally being recognized.I ve known all along that you have the gift of the pen which you get honestly from Dad.It is probably no coincidence that your essay was published on Dad s Birthday.I love to think it was totally Dad and John up there sending you their love… so proud of you..Love MaryBeth

• October 21, 2011 at 3:33 am