Home > Social media > Let Your Mind Soar While The Dirt Flies With Podcasts

Let Your Mind Soar While The Dirt Flies With Podcasts

Chris Anderson is the curator of the TED (Tech...

Image via Wikipedia

PVR’s and TIVO‘s may be all the rage, but what has really changed my life for the better are podcasts.

Gone is the boredom that plagues me while doing household chores like cooking and cleaning: listening to podcasts fills my head with great ideas and inspiration instead of mindless chitchat and commercials, although make no mistake I also blast top 40 hits upon occasion. That really gets the broom going.

But for more introspective moments, ITunes has a great library of inspiring and interesting presentations from TED talks, and I’ve been rapidly going through them. From TED I’ve segued to CBC radio. I love The Age of Persuasion with Terry O’Reilly, but seldom listen to the radio when it airs on Saturday mornings or Thursday afternoons.

Now I download them for free, and stockpile podcasts like the stray socks that come out of my dryer. I can get my groove on with Jian Gomeshi’s show, Q, or get inspired for a run with Marathon Talk, all from the comfortof my own bathtub. This is powerful stuff for someone who’s braincells cry out for stimulation, yet my laundry pile has taken over my house.

It’s a win-win. I am mentally uplifted while there is an extra sparkle to my kitchen faucet. Because the only thing worse than cleaning is thinking about the futility of cleaning as you clean. Far better for your mind to be millions miles away from the task at hand.

Sometimes, it’s much better to not be present. Podcasts take me to conferences and studios all over the world that in another life I would be at, but not in this one. While I’m waiting for someone to invent a transporter that will beam me up, Star Trek-like, podcasts can partially take me away from dirty dishes and floors.

I find namedropping TED presentations or CBC broadcasts into dinner party conversations is more scintillating than what happens to those socks. My popularity is on the upswing, people are looking at me with renewed interest. Or maybe they’ve tuned me out altogether.

Help enlighten me: what are your favorite podcasts?

1. April 20, 2011 at 12:53 am

Ah, yes, Deanna, I love TED talks, too! And this is quite a fine homage to all that’s great about them! Well done, my friend!

2. Laurie
    April 20, 2011 at 7:22 am

Kinda loving this one tonight!

Very powerful to pull all these souls together.

3. April 20, 2011 at 3:35 pm

I like “Age of Persuasion” too, but like you, almost never get to hear it. I haven’t done the “podcast” thing yet. Jim listens to the podcast of “Quirks and Quarks.”

4. John Regan
    April 23, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Hi Dee

I have also really enjoyed the Age of Persuasion…info and the guy’s voice. I am going to try and figure out podcasting…I have to clean the basement!

Deb

• April 25, 2011 at 5:20 pm

It’s super easy to download – and if you can’t figure it out, Peter or Julia will show you!

5. April 27, 2011 at 11:47 am

Thank You So Much! I have never listened to a pod cast. Now I am not only going to listen to one, but create one to showcase my book and invention. How long are they generally? (book is about some of the most common tools we have available to manage our personal power/energy and the invention is “the easy way to Feng-Shui).
    Have a good one!
    I am excited to get such a useful piece of info this morning!!! It is almost as good as sunshine (which we need but it is raining here agian-Indiana).
    The Best!!! AmberLena

6. May 3, 2011 at 3:48 am

My favourite TED talks (and they are all awesome!) is Elizabeth Gilbert’s talk about separating the artist and the muse. So powerful, and she is such an entertaining speaker!

• May 3, 2011 at 2:54 pm

Thanks – I am downloading it, love her candidness.