Home > motivational monday > Dearest Cancer: Prepare to be Defeated

Dearest Cancer: Prepare to be Defeated

Cancer, you miserable beast, you have sunk your dirty talons into the wrong person. You don’t know who you’re messing with.

You think you are clever by showing up in first his knee, and now his lung and spine, but my brother will outwit you yet, you have not seen the likes of him.

He is smarter than you. Not only book smart, but street smart. He will read you under the table, and find a method of beating you at your own game. He will lull you into submission and have you eating out of the palm of his hand in no time. He will win this battle. Stand down.

He is an endurance athlete, did you know? You have been at him for a while, but he hasn’t even begun to fight back. He hasn’t shown you his A game, it kicks in right about now. He has just been warming up for this battle, playing you. You haven’t seen anything yet.

He is a fierce competitor, if there is a win at stake he will pinch hit, get the overtime goal, dig deep to save the day. He has had lots of practice at this, and I can tell you he is a winner. This is another game he will win, prepare to be defeated.

You are not his worthy opponent.

Were you thinking, here’s a nice guy to pick on? A champion teacher, fantastic father, loving husband, all around hero in his community, I’ll take him down? That was your first mistake, because he’s often mistaken for a nice guy, but what you don’t know is he is a chameleon; a wonderful person but a terrifying rival. He will wear YOU down, and it won’t be pretty.

His resolve will blow you away, but then again he is not a regular person.

My brother has the determination of a gladiator, the strength of a leviathan, the wit of Adam Sandler and Tina Fey combined, and the heart of Sidney Crosby, and also like Sid, a team of enormous depth cheering him on from all corners of the earth. He will play the game, like the sportsman he is, but make no mistake that he will beat you in the end. He will send you home with your tail between your legs.

His spirit will outmatch your cruelty.

We will soon be celebrating his victory

1. Liz Brownlie
    March 26, 2011 at 7:14 pm

And how lucky he is to have you as his number one cheerleader.

• March 27, 2011 at 1:56 am

Sadly, I’m far away and can’t be of much help, but he is surrounded by family and friends, and apparently is the star of the hospital.

2. March 27, 2011 at 12:47 am

I’m sure having you and the rest of your siblings cheering him on will help him win his fight, Deanna!

• March 27, 2011 at 1:53 am

Yes, he has a huge ring of special support.

3. March 27, 2011 at 2:46 am

With a determined family cheering him on, he can do anything!

• March 28, 2011 at 5:02 am

I do believe you are right, Tori, as usual!

4. March 27, 2011 at 1:15 pm

If he has not done so, have him look into iodine therapy….in breast cancer studies…50mg (which is like a million times higher than the FDA for iodine doseage in USA) per day within 30 days cancer had stopped growing b/c blood flow had dried up and withing 60 tumor shivled and absorbed. ALso a gemstone called COVELITE will give off a vibration that cancer is incompatible with. He should be able to get it online and carry it all the time..use a touchstone when possible. The very Best and congratulations on starting with supportive expectations! AmberLena

• March 28, 2011 at 5:04 am

I love the proliferation of non-traditional medicine, so many new avenues to explore, and with them, new hope. I will check these out, too, thanks.

5. March 27, 2011 at 5:30 pm

Wow, what a champion! I see victory around the next bend! Thank God you are so fierce in your defense of him! Hugs to you, my friend. I’ll keep your family in my prayers!

• March 28, 2011 at 5:09 am

Thanks Kathy – he is a true champion. I’m hoping this will be all behind him soon.

6. Sharon Pelletier
    March 27, 2011 at 5:32 pm

He is definitely lucky to have you in the game with him 🙂 If karma helps, I’m sending some of that along, too.

• March 28, 2011 at 5:10 am

Karma is gratefully accepted! Thanks, Sharon.

7. Ellie Sadinsky
    March 27, 2011 at 7:18 pm

I’m sure it’s hard to be so far away – but he must be cheered by the love and support of your huge family, Dee. You are all in our thoughts.

• March 28, 2011 at 5:14 am

Thanks so much El – he is definitely not alone in this fight.

8. John Regan
    March 28, 2011 at 12:57 am

Hi Dee!

I cried my eyes out reading this entry…Thanks for the wonderful endorsement and I know I will do whatever has to be done!! I don’t know that anyone has had a better or more loving support group than I have…You guys (you all know who you are!!) are amazing.

Thanks for lifting my spirits and help getting my “game face” on !!!

Love ya!!

John

• March 28, 2011 at 5:21 am

You are too special for words. It’s hard to imagine how hard this has been for you – I keep thinking of this part of Rudyard Kipling’s poem, “If”:

If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
      To serve your turn long after they are gone,
      And so hold on when there is nothing in you
      Except the Will which says to them: “Hold on”;

So hold on, you will do this, I have so much love and admiration for you.

9. joanne lawlor
    March 28, 2011 at 2:09 am

Well said Deanna…I’ve never seen John back down from any challenge he has ever been faced with. This without a doubt is his biggest; and his “army” of supporters are watching with confidence, as he goes about to take this one down. Go Johnnie go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• March 28, 2011 at 5:33 am

His victory will be huge, as will the celebration.

10. March 28, 2011 at 2:59 am

Dearest Deanna our thoughts and positive energy are with you and your whole family during this time. Love the Shugarmans

11. March 28, 2011 at 5:36 am

Thanks Ruthie – we are feeling positive and hoping for some good news this week. See you soon.

March 29, 2011 at 3:58 am

Kick Cancer’s ASS! The Good Guy always wins, right?
    Sending all our positive energy your way. Go John Go!!

13. Brian
    March 29, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Family and friends stand as one to applaud John’s courage and determination to fight this beast. Thank you Dee for these eloquent words that are both touching and invigorating. John our support is unwavering and we eagerly await the day you raise your hands in victory

14. MaryBeth Curry
    March 30, 2011 at 11:26 pm

Dee -thanks for your amazing blog-definitetly one of the best!!!It pulled at my heart strings but as well as we both know John -he has the strength and determination to do battle with this BEAST.As his family it is our job to be there for him in his time of need.John is so lucky to have such a HUGE support team…oodles of family,friends and colleagues to encourage him in the up coming days.We all LOVE him so much and will watch his return to good health.LIVE STRONG…my BRAVE BRO…lOVE MaryBeth

15. Lisa Peck
    April 12, 2011 at 2:30 am

To John and all your family, you have so many people who support and love you and who are thinking of you constantly. I am sending positive energy your way and praying for you everyday. You are such a wonderful person and you can beat this. Fight hard – we are all there for you. Love Lisa

16. November 20, 2011 at 2:47 pm