Home > Life > Goodbye Retail, Hello Price-Slashed Wholesale

Goodbye Retail, Hello Price-Slashed Wholesale

My new Sun Ice raincoat. Okay fine, it's not me wearing it...

Retail shopping is so yesterday.

I refuse to pay full price for anything anymore. If it’s not on sale, forget it. With huge outlet malls cropping up in suburban areas, and email alerts conveniently telling me when my favorite shops are busting out goods at huge discounts, who needs to?

The only thing better than driving south of the border to hit these outlets is when these outlets come to you, in your own backyard, a new trend that is catching on like wildfire.

My friend has an in on a sweet line of Sun Ice ski jackets and outdoor apparel – her family owns it. Instead of shipping their extra stock off to a discount center, she is setting up racks in neighborhood homes and selling them at big discounts. I went by her house for a sale where she had partnered with a local yoga line, Tonic. We had coffee and I left with a super cute yoga outfit and raincoat that both rival Lululemon – but at half the cost.

Next year's ski jacket - would it look as chic with a helmet and no make up?

I was giddy with delight, flushing with victory so pure I was puzzled. I felt something was missing, and then realized it was that feeling of buyer’s remorse. Unlike usual, I had none. No guilty feelings thinking, “I didn’t need that”. I had gone with the hope of finding some new yoga wear (whether doing yoga or not, I live in this stuff) and a raincoat that was a tad different from everyone else in Vancouver. I found both within the confines of her friendly living room and spent a fraction of the cost.

Life may be beautiful, but mine is seldom this easy.

I am being invited to sales like this on a regular basis; women hosting jewelery designers and clothing lines in their own homes. The environment is much more welcoming than harsh fluorescent light and those mirrors that make my hips look wider than they are. I’ll gladly exchange the bored out of their mind teenage shopkeepers for honest women who know a garment flaw when they see one.

The concept of shopping is changing as quickly as the world is shedding its landlines. I don’t aimlessly browse through shops in the hopes of randomly discovering something I like and is on sale (unless, of course I’m at Winners and in need of retail therapy). My shopping is much more purposeful and driven by red tags.

I’m ignoring the middle man in favor of neighborhood homes, my days of mall crawling are officially over.

1. March 4, 2011 at 7:56 pm

“Life may be beautiful, but mine is seldom this easy”
    Amen, sister! I thought I was the only girl who rather not shop all day 🙂

• March 11, 2011 at 2:28 am

In my perfect world, I would have a personal shopper!

2. March 5, 2011 at 6:27 pm

Sounds like a great opportunity! I love a good sale–a big bargain–and especially love it that buyer’s remorse was what you were missing—a good thing to be without.

Hope you have a great weekend, Deanna!

Hugs from Haiti,

• March 11, 2011 at 2:27 am

Thanks so much Kathy. Could also use less guilt when eating chocolate cheesecake, but I digress.

March 6, 2011 at 8:05 am

invite me to the sale next time D!

• March 11, 2011 at 2:25 am

I want to host one after spring break – they have a great spring line. You’re on the list, baby.

4. March 7, 2011 at 11:11 pm

You’re right — these “shop at home” events are definitely picking up. And I always feel so good when I leave one. Maybe it’s because of your comment, “honest women who know a garment flaw when they see one.” Haa haa! So true. Though I’ve never bought clothes from an event like you described, it’s true that only a friend will say, “Just where are you going to wear that necklace?”

• March 11, 2011 at 2:24 am

I’m invariably happy after these parties too – sometimes I think wine is the perfect accompaniment to shopping.

5. Sharon Pelletier
    March 27, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Oh, I hate shopping too I’ve always been wary about admitting that out loud … Where and when is the next home sale? The Sun Ice jacket is perfect!