Home > Life > Pragmatic Romantics: Boycott Valentine’s Day Flowers

Pragmatic Romantics: Boycott Valentine’s Day Flowers

As the rain pelted sideways on the weekend, I stooped to throw a bouquet of roses into my grocery cart. An attempt to cheer up our joint on the darkest of winter days, add a little sunshine into the mix, mask the stale aroma of February. But I was horrified when I noticed the normal $14.99 price tag had been jacked up to $29.99, courtesy of my least favorite Hallmark-induced holiday, Valentine’s Day.

I was prepared to leave this one alone this week, to let bloggers and columnists wage their own wars with cupid, falling either in the pro or con category. If I were to predictably fall into the con category, you might think I am a washed up cynic, jaded by fifteen years of marriage, any romantic spark long since replaced by everyday realities.

And you would be right.

Suckers only need apply

My image on the line, I’m still prepared to go down this route to exploit the flower industry as the crooks that they are. Forget Hallmark, who at the very least can’t double the printed cost of their red and pink cards as February 14 rolls closer, the florists of this world are the biggest benefactors of this artificial holiday. I’m disgusted with the injustice of jacking up their cost of arrangements to double their normal price tag.

The last thing I have ever wanted for Valentine’s Day is flowers (honey, are you reading this?). I have long been a proponent of the “give me flowers any other day of the year instead, when they are half the cost” club. I cannot relate to all of those tweets and stories I’m reading about women who just want flowers for Valentine’s Day – “would that kill him”? What is romantic about receiving flowers on the day some marketer has deemed it romantic to receive flowers? Our collective lack of imagination has too many people resorting to being sheep, with the florists of the world being the lucky benefactors.

I would rather receive a new water bottle.

At least most retailers worth their salt have wizened up and offer pre-Christmas sales, so we don’t feel we are complete victims to the cause. If you are one of those smug people that goes around toting flowers at double the cost on Valentine’s Day, you may as well have “sucker” tattooed on your forehead, or  “kick me” attached to your behind.

Contrary to how this sounds, I actually am romantic, but also pragmatic. Read me a poem on Valentine’s Day, instead. I promise I won’t laugh.

1. Ellie Sadinsky
    February 14, 2011 at 12:32 am

totally agree – we use V-day as a excuse to get a babysitter (some time around the 14th) and hang out together. No card or roses required.

• February 14, 2011 at 1:56 am

Sounds good to me – an excuse not to cook? Sign me up! And a great time to send love to friends – Happy V Day, El!

2. February 14, 2011 at 1:29 am

Could not agree more. It takes the “sweet” out of any gesture when a man had to feel socially pressured to buy something. Random gestures’ll get me anytime!

• February 14, 2011 at 1:57 am

I would settle for someone taking out the trash 🙂

3. February 14, 2011 at 6:54 am

I agree too! Flowers are just that,flowers, and they will still be available next week, month, etc.

• February 14, 2011 at 3:51 pm

How about an alternate Valentine’s Day on February 19?

4. February 14, 2011 at 1:47 pm

I have to agree, Deanna. It certainly isn’t over-th-top romanitic to give roses on a day the calendar says you should. Show some imagination and take out the trash! Happy Valentines Day to you, anyway–I’ll do the dishes!

• February 14, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Notice I didn’t say anything about a nice glass of red wine…Happy Feb 14 to you, Kathy.

February 15, 2011 at 12:59 am

My funny friend the cynic. I hope you got a pink water bottle, at least!
    And moving your celebration to the 19th, I think, is still taking advantage of the (corporately-backed) push to celebrate the love in all your relationships. Methinks the lady doth protest too much – would it be so bad to smell the roses or someone else cooking (burning?) dinner 🙂
    Happy Valentines anyways dear D!

1. February 14, 2012 at 5:05 am