Home > Life > Eavesdropping on Suburbia

Eavesdropping on Suburbia

I can hear you...

One of the many things I like about traveling, besides the obvious being transported to warmer climates, is observing people in airports.

To the untrained eye, it might appear that I am absorbed in my book, but really my bionic ears are listening to every conversation within a stone’s throw, and I’m watching every movement out of the corner of my beady eye.

And if you sit down beside me and have a conversation on your cell phone, it is not a private discussion: I am hanging on your every word.

A man sat down beside me at the airport last week and we had a lovely chat with his wife on his mobile. It was so stereotypical I could easily decipher – probably verbatim – what her responses were, despite not being on speakerphone (really, how rude!).

We talked about the Vancouver weather – balmy compared to where they resided (Chicago? Denver?). We all agreed traveling is extremely tiring, and the food sucks. We discussed his daughter’s basketball game, and whether or not her play stood out from the rest of the team’s, and how that Ashley girl is overrated. We talked about his wife’s paycheck, and how it was so small it didn’t cover the cost of her work wardrobe, and although we all chuckled, she was secretly annoyed that he keeps bringing this up. We segued into his wife’s friend for a bit – trouble on the horizon in her marriage, what are you going to do? And then, finally, could she pick up his dry cleaning and kiss the girls for him? He loves her and will see her tomorrow night.

Two things came to mind as he snapped his phone shut: are we all so predictable? And secondly, what will his wife serve for dinner tonight?

1. February 4, 2011 at 12:25 am

Brilliant title! I love this, since I like to do the same thing, and I get to fly tomorrow–will get a good dose! Very funny–very, very funny, Deanna!

• February 4, 2011 at 10:20 pm

I hope the idle chitchat in Miami is more stimulating! Have a great weekend, Kathy.

2. February 4, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Being a blogger is a little like being a secret agent, isn’t it? I’m definitely more observant than I was before I started my blog…I’m always on the lookout for material! It always amazes me what people will say in public (sometimes it’s shocking!).

• February 4, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Yes, but it provides entertainment of sorts, sometimes good, sometimes not so good…

3. February 4, 2011 at 4:47 pm

People watching/listening is fascinating but sometimes sadly telling. He certainly was predictable… I bet you would’ve been so pleasantly suprised to hear him mix things up, tell the wife not to worry about dinner and that her work is important! I know I sure would’ve!

• February 4, 2011 at 10:23 pm

You would need an address in some unknown land for that type of conversation!

4. February 10, 2011 at 11:37 am

When I sit down in an airport, I feel that my ears become radar receptors. Hilarious post.

• February 10, 2011 at 5:10 pm

It’s default entertainment, often better than the emails I’m reading.